Disclaimer:
I don't claim to be an expert cook. Or a fancy cook. In fact, I never used to really enjoy cooking. So this is mostly about low fuss, filling and tasty meals, and really just anything I have a go at and decide to share along the way!! My top priority is avoiding additives and preservatives wherever possible closely followed by using whole/less processed/healthier ingredients. But for those who would like conventional options that are quick tasty and cost effective, I would like to share tips on all of these as well!!

Monday 12 March 2012

Non-fried "Fried Rice"

I love to do this quick and easy dinner when there is just absolute bare minimum food left, at the end of the fortnight and you are in a hurry to get dinner on!  This recipe comes again from Quirky Cooking so visit for a more detailed explanation!!! (thank you again!).

It's great because you can usually really on the fact that you will at least have some rice, some eggs and then whatever fresh/frozen veggies you have left and whatever meat/prawns you have (or just have it vegetarian!)

I had 1 carrot, half a broccoli, frozen peas and 3 cobs of fresh corn!!!  And some frozen green prawns that needed to be defrosted and peeled before cooking.  See, really scraping the bottom of the barrel there!

So I started the rice cooking, a large batch for 20 minutes at Varoma temp, then chopped the carrot and broccoli and threw them in the bottom of the Varoma (they were going to take the longest, so get them in first).  Then I cut the corn off the cob and added that, then the frozen peas when there was just under 10 minutes left on the timer.  I then started peeling the prawns which had been sitting in some water to defrost - this is what took the most amount of time!!

you can add more veggies than I had
- time for the grocery shopping!

When there was about 5 minutes left on the timer, I gave the veggies a quick stir around so they cooked evenly, then I lined the top tray of the Varoma with wet baking paper, whisked 4 eggs together quickly, then poured the eggs onto the paper for a steamed omelette.  When the timer was finished, I tipped the rice in with the veggies, rinsed out the bowl, added 1 glove of garlic, chopped for 3 seconds, added some oil and the prawns and sautéed on 100 degree, Reverse + Speed soft for about 4 minutes (depending on how fresh or frozen the prawns are will depend on time - just make sure the garlic has enough time to cook out a bit!)

While the prawns are cooking, just slice up the omelette with your spatula and add that to the rest!  If I hadn't spent so long peeling the prawns, I could have just added them in the Varoma also!!  Prawns are super quick to cook, even from frozen.

I just "chopped" the omelette
so it looks messy, that is my time saving!!
Add the garlic prawns and sprinkle a good dose of soy sauce over the mixture!!  Can even add some honey too, if desired.  But we just have soy and it is very nice.  Easy, very healthy and a great use of the leftover bits and pieces you have!!!  You can add as many veggies as you have - as I was down to the very last, this isn't as big a serving as you could make - it easily feed a crowd!!! Even serve with some marinated chicken pieces etc.



There you go, easy Monday night dinner on the run, and very cheap!!! And we still have leftovers, so can serve as a side dish tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment