Disclaimer:
I don't claim to be an expert cook. Or a fancy cook. In fact, I never used to really enjoy cooking. So this is mostly about low fuss, filling and tasty meals, and really just anything I have a go at and decide to share along the way!! My top priority is avoiding additives and preservatives wherever possible closely followed by using whole/less processed/healthier ingredients. But for those who would like conventional options that are quick tasty and cost effective, I would like to share tips on all of these as well!!

Sunday 25 March 2012

Breakfast - Spelt Pancakes and juice!

For easy breakfasts with the Thermomix, we do lots of porridge, lots of steamed eggs (either sunny side up in the Varoma on baking paper, or in little cups/ moulds in Varoma) or eggs in the rice basket (instructions in Everyday Cookbook), or we do green chocolate smoothies with ground sesame seeds and linseeds, banana, baby spinach, cacao powder and ice.  Another easy option is a quick pancake mix.  And I LOVE the fact that the Thermomix has scales built in.  Really.  It makes so much difference to your food prep time, and your washing up!!!  Cooking takes a lot less effort somehow!

I have found a basic spelt, dairy free pancake recipe that I use, but I would still like to tweak it a little before posting the recipe.  But I served these with a fresh breakfast juice of orange, pineapple and carrot which was blended with ice for 2 minutes.  This breaks down the fruit and makes it more readily absorbable (is that a real word??!!!!) and all the fibre is incorporated.  Yummy, fresh and full of nutrients and vitamins for you.  Juicing in the Thermomix is all about experimenting and finding what you like.  There is some information in the Everyday Cookbook on how to go about some different options.  For our orange and spinach juice (or just orange juice) I just peel a few oranges, throw in some baby spinach, add some water, some ice and blend for about 10 seconds, leaving some "bits" in it as usually I don't like a thick blended juice as much.  Or if you would like more of a boost juice style juice, or need some sweetener in it, then follow the first part of the sorbet recipe (but lessen the sugar), but don't add the eggwhite or the second batch of ice, just add a little extra water.  You can throw in the citrus fruits peeled and whole (or a large orange I would break in half before adding it in), but if you would like to avoid the "tart" or bitter taste later after juicing, then try removing all the pips and make sure all the pith is removed.


No comments:

Post a Comment